Newton County Council
Telephone: (219) 474-5205
Telephone: (219) 285-6626
Telephone: (312) 617-9017
Telephone: (219) 488-4503
Telephone: (219) 285-6932
Telephone: (219) 474-3403
What We Do:
- Exclusive power to fix the tax rate for county purposes and for all other purposes where the rate not fixed by law is required to be uniform, and impose the tax levy.
- Exclusive power of making appropriations to be paid out of the county treasury.
- Adoption of the annual budget after receiving estimates submitted by the various county agencies through the county auditor, subject to the modification by the State Board of Tax Commissioners.
- Incurring county indebtedness within the constitutional limitations.
- Appropriation of additional funds arising after the budget is adopted.
- Reappropriation of surplus funds which might be surrendered by one department of county government.
- Fixing of salaries of officers, deputies, assistants and employees whose salaries are payable from any county fund, with certain exceptions as provided by the statutes granting this authority.
- Levying taxes to provide funds for erecting new jails and repairing, remodeling, and enlarging of old jails.