The Building Department was created to administer and enforce building, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, sanitation, sign codes and standards, to provide minimum standards for the protection of life, limb, health, environment, public safety and welfare, and for the conservation of energy in the design and construction of buildings and structures.
- Issue building permits and conduct inspections.
- Issue Certificates of Occupancy
- Enforcement of Unincorporated Newton County Zoning Ordinances.
- Zone changes, subdivision approvals change of use permits, special exceptions and variances.
- Enforcement of Subdivision Ordinance Regulations
- Enforcement of Contractor's Licensing Ordinance
- Investigates all zoning ordinance viloations.
- handles contractor building, and zoning complaints in unincorporated area of Newton County.
Current Indiana Codes used in Newton County
- General Administrative Rules: (675-IAC-12 GAR)
- Indiana Building Code: (675-IAC-13 IBC) Based on: 2006 International Building Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective June 16, 2008.
- Indiana Residential Code: (75-IAC-14 OTFDC) Based on: 2003 International Residential Code (5th printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective April 5, 2008
- Industrialized Building Systems: (675-IAC-15 ISB) Effective May 15, 2003
- Indiana Plumbing Code: (675-IAC-16 IPC) Based on: 1997 Uniform Plumbing Code with Indiana Amendments, Effective July 30, 1999
- Indiana Electrical Code: (675-IAC-17 IEC) Based on: 2008 National Electrical Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective August 26, 2009
- Indiana Mechanical Code: (675-IAC-18 IMC) Based on: 2006 International Mechanical Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective June 16, 2008
- Indiana Energy Conservation Code: (675-IAC-19 IECC) Based on: 1992 Model Energy Code with Indiana Amendments, Effective March 24, 2004
- Indiana Swimming Pool Code: (75-IAC-20 ISPC) Based on: 1989 Indiana Swimming Pool Code with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 26, 2002
- Indiana Safety Code for Elevators, Escalators, Man lifts and Hoists: (675-IAC-21 SCEEMH) Based on: ANSI/ASME, Effective January 2, 2003
- Indiana Fire Prevention Code: (75-IAC-22 IFC) Based on: 2006 International Fire Code, (1st printing) with 2008 Indiana Amendments, Effective June 16, 2008
- Indiana Supplementary Fire Safety Rules: (675-IAC-24 SFSR) Effective May 17, 2003
- Indiana Fuel Gas Code: (675-IAC-25 IFGC) Based on: 2006 International Fuel Gas Code (1st printing), with Indiana Amendments, Effective June 16, 2008
Code Books may now be purchased on line at www.iccsafe.org then select the product store
If you are a licensed contractor in Newton County and would like to set up an account with us please call for details. You may reach us at (219) 285-6080.